The Frieda C. Fox Family Foundation’s mission is to maximize the potential of children and youth in our communities.
Our greater family vision is that all children should enjoy strong and effective learning environments that encourage their talent, creativity, and excellence, irrespective of their families’ socio-economic circumstances.
The foundation makes grants to non-profit organizations whose educational programs serve children and youth in the counties of Santa Clara and Los Angeles, California, with special emphasis on underserved populations. We also go 'beyond the check', providing high engagement, pro-bono technical assistance to a limited number of our current and former grant recipients. In 2012-2013, Fox Foundation is concentrating on its Innovative Programs which support our nonprofit partners by addressing common needs from a strategic perspective. Our grant funds support shared marketing and communications efforts, collaborative projects, and dissemination of best practices in community engagement for educational impact.
Our guiding principles and family culture are summarized by our values, practiced each day in our activities and our dealings with the community:
- A strong and effective learning environment encourages dialogue, a sense of inquiry, and a self-driven quest for knowledge.
- All of our daily interactions provide opportunities to learn and to teach.
- We believe in promoting a love of learning and enhancing children's learning skills.
Talent and Creativity
- All children have individual talents to be encouraged and fostered.
- We believe in the importance of education both inside and outside the classroom.
- We value children and support their self-expression within the broad spectrum of the arts.
Healthy Environments for Children
- Children benefit from a healthy environment that encourages them to grow, play, and learn.
- A child who has a positive sense of self-esteem will tend to make pro-social, healthy life choices.
- We value children understanding their own importance as individuals and as participants in their families and community.
- We value the process whereby children succeed at a challenge, and go beyond their self-imposed limits, or those imposed upon them.
- We appreciate the diversity of human talent.
- We believe that children benefit when they value ethnic and cultural diversity.
- We believe in the universal benefit of people helping each other.
- We value the role of non-profits in helping to make a difference.
- We encourage and model individual, personal responsibility.
Impact and Effectiveness
- We value highly leveraged opportunities that produce the most positive impact for the community and society.
- We value the right effort, being put in the right place, at the right time, to obtain exceptional results with maximum efficiency.